Money. It’s one of the most dreaded topics for many pastors and church leaders. When we talk about money, it can feel like people will interpret it as self-serving and self-motivating, which leads many pastors to avoid the topic altogether.
I am joined by long-time friend and financial planner by profession, Jeff Huizenga. Jeff is a Partner and Director of Wealth Strategies at David Vaughan Investments.
In this episode, Jeff helps us navigate what the Bible has to say about money, proper stewardship of our finances, how to talk about money in your church, and so much more. This is such an important topic, and we encourage you to listen in!
- Kingdom Advisors
- (BOOK) The Treasure Principle
- (BOOK) Money, Possessions, and Eternity
- Learn more about our 5-Project Biblical Counseling Blueprint Model™
- Explore the rest of our website – bcmnational.org
- Start with stewardship. Everything we have, including our money, is because of God. We are called to steward our time, resources, and finances well. When we understand and get stewardship right, it affects all aspects of our Christian walk.
- Focus on the heart. Instead of trying to focus on money and tithing, focus on ministering to people’s hearts. When we focus on helping people have a healthy spiritual walk, the rest will follow. In the end, money is not actually the bottom line of what we’re talking about; we care about people’s relationship with the Lord.
- Don’t ignore money in church! Did you know that money is the second most talked about topic in the Bible? It’s clear from Scripture that we have a responsibility to talk about money, stewardship, and how finances affect our Christian walk. When we talk about money more often and provide clarity about why this topic matters, we can remove the stigma surrounding this topic.
Jeff Huizenga is a Partner and Director of Wealth Strategies at David Vaughan Investments in Peoria, Illinois. He has worked in the financial service industry for over 20 years. Jeff specializes in investment management, financial planning, insurance solutions, and is a Certified Financial Planner and Chartered Financial Consultant. In his spare time, he enjoys spending time with family, living his faith, and participating in outdoor activities.